Friends Spotlight allows you, through your tax-deductible donation, to shine a light on a specific pet of your choosing, while making a difference in the lives of all animals waiting to find their forever home.
Here is how Friends Spotlight works:
- Select a pet for your Friends Spotlight, or let us select for you.
- Each selected pet will receive a Friends Spotlight Badge (pictured right) on his or her kennel, condo or cage letting the public know that he or she deserves a second look.
- A pet may receive multiple Friends Spotlight Badges.
- Donors will be recognized in a bi-monthly post on our Facebook page.
Want to spotlight a pet? Follow these simple steps:
- Click here to view the shelter’s current adoptable pets, or visit the shelter in person.
- Fill out the Friends Spotlight donation form.
- On the donation form, you may identify the name of an animal you’d like to spotlight, or leave it blank and we’ll select an animal for you.
The Friends will work with shelter staff and volunteers to put your Friends Spotlight Badge in place so that the public knows that this pet deserves a second look!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did you create Friends Spotlight?
- Research has shown that healthier pets are more adoptable. With Friends Spotlight, your donation supports the care of of the shelter pets. Donations helps fund parasite prevention, dental care, surgeries, and other care that an shelter pet may need before it is ready to meet its forever family, thus off-setting costs that a potential adopter may not be able to pay and making the pet more adoptable.
- What is the purpose of the Friends Spotlight Badge on a pet’s kennel/condo/cage?
- It helps the animal stand out when adopters come to the shelter. It also helps start a conversation in the shelter about that animal and why people are donating money in its name.
- May I still donate money that goes only to a specific pet?
- You may recognize a particular pet, but the money will go into a specific care fund that benefits all shelter pets. Happier, healthier “neighbors” help the wellness of all pets at the shelter.
- Will I receive a receipt for tax purposes?
- Yes. One will be emailed to you.
- I thought the County of Fairfax paid for medical and preventive care for shelter animals. Why do you need donations?
- The Fairfax County Animal Shelter receives a limited budget from Fairfax County and a specific dollar amount is set aside for medical care. The Friends of the Fairfax County Animal Shelter pays for emergency medical expenses and other care not available through the county’s budgeted funds.
- I don’t want to spotlight a pet, but I want to make a donation toward medical expenses only. Is there a way to do this?
- Please specify “restricted medical” on our regular donation form.