Friends of the Fairfax County Animal Shelter (Friends) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Fairfax County, Virginia. Since 2006, Friends has partnered with the Fairfax County Animal Shelter in its efforts to help lost and abandoned animals in our community.
How We Help
Each year, more than 5,000 domestic animals make their way to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter. Some are strays, and other surrendered by their owners or confiscated by the county due to neglect or mistreatment.
With so many animals coming through its doors and a limited budget, the shelter has to make tough decisions about how it can provide for each animal. In some cases, this means that otherwise adoptable animals might not have a second chance if expensive medical treatments or special needs costs exceed the county budget.
This is where the Friends steps in. We raise awareness — and money — to help improve the quality of life for hundreds of loving local shelter pets.
In partnership with generous donors like you, Friends is able to:
- Provide emergency medical treatment
- Purchase much needed equipment and supplies
- Support the foster program by providing food, specialty supplies and other items to help loving families temporarily care for animals in their homes
- Fund additional training for shelter staff
- Assist with efforts to spay and neuter animals in our community
- Support special adoption events at the shelter
- Promote and support humane trap–neuter–return (TNR) efforts to manage community cat populations
- Support pet and human victims in domestic abuse situations by providing funding to the Pet Haven Program
- Provide behavioral training, grooming and medical care to increase the adoptability of special needs shelter animals
With your help, we can continue to do wonderful things for these loving animals.
Did You Know?
Over 90 percent of FFCAS dollars went to directly support the homeless animals at the Fairfax County Animal Shelter in 2015 and 2016, and we’re continuing our great track record in 2018. Our 2016 Annual Report and Reviewed Financial Statements are available here.
By supporting Friends, you help us in our mission to:
- Provide additional resources and aid to our local animal shelter
- Promote the adoption of homeless dogs, cats, birds, small mammals and reptiles in Fairfax County
- Educate the community on the importance of spaying and neutering pets
In addition to providing support to individual shelter animals in need, we hope to:
- Extend our reach to help a broader number of animals
- Expand our involvement in Fairfax County’s TNR program
- Help fund projects related to the shelter remodeling
- Find ways to further spay-and-neuter efforts in Fairfax County including low-cost options
Our Board of Directors
Evelyn Grieve, President / Acting Treasurer
Rita Altman, Vice President
Jill Westeyn, Secretary
Nancy Abbott, Member
Kelsey DeWispelaere, Member
Michael Frey, Member
Karen Diviney, Ex Officio Member
Interested in starting your own Friends of group? Here are some tips to get you started.
FFCAS is a private organization, independent of the Fairfax County government. A copy of our financial statement is available upon written request to the Commonwealth of Virginia, Office of Consumer Affairs.